Thai Driving License
October 26th, 2010
HOW TO OBTAIN A THAI DRIVING LICENCE
To obtain a Thai driving licence from the Thai authorities you will need the following documents:-
- PASSPORT (original plus a copy)
- VALID NON-IMMIGRANT VISA
- LETTER FROM THE EMBASSY (confirming residency)
- DOCTOR’S CERTIFICATE
- VALID DRIVING LICENCE
- TWO PHOTOS (1” x 1”)
You may have to sit a driving test and pass a written test on traffic signs. If you take your current overseas licence with you, you may only be required to sit the written test.
Please check with the Land Transportation office where you need to apply as this does depend on where you reside.
To Obtain the Residency Letter from the British Embassy
- Register with the Embassy (details on how to follow below) then please also bring your original passport with you.
- Complete the request form and state the address to be used on the letter
- The fee for this service is Baht 2,408
- The letter can be sent to you by EMS (Express Mail Service – Baht 100)
Locate – Consular Online Registration
We encourage you to register with the British Embassy – new Consular online registration system (LOCATE) at http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ or www.fco.gov.uk/locate. With facility in LOCATE, you will be able to ‘manage’ i.e. update and change, your own information at a later date, such as contact details, dates in the country, inform us of your plans etc.
For long-term residents who have registered with us, we also strongly advise you re-register your details with LOCATE.
Consular Section Tel: 0-2305 8333 from 9.00-11.00 hrs only
14 Wireless Road Fax: 0-2255 6051
Monday – Thursday 8-11.00 and 15 – 15.15 hrs
Friday – 8-12 noon ONLY